I like the original better... ("1979" Cover)


Who loves the Smashing Pumpkins?
Who is totally pumped for the new album?
Who else thinks that "1979" by The Smashing Pumpkins is one of the best songs of all time...?
Who thinks that any cover wouldn't cut it...?
Who has heard New Jersey's own Lismore cover this song?

If you answered "yes" to these three questions, maybe you don't understand them...

just kidding...

But seriously, take a listen to Lismore and tell me what you think of this cover... cause I don't like it much. Why listen to this attempt at an electronic "1979," when the original is almost godly? "A" for effort, I guess...

The song is an interesting take. Removing drums and guitar for most of the song... and then trying some trance/house/electronic thing after a short, decent, bridge... I dunno... it's not doing it for me.

Listen:
MP3: The Smashing Pumpkins - "1979"
MP3: Lismore - "1979 (Cover)" (Awesome.... so awesome.)

If you liked it (hmm), or you're still willing to give them a chance (more likely), hear a few more Lismore tracks here. It's a pretty good site, though.

Now, for the greatness that is the "1979" video. Doty loves this opening shot...

10 Responses to “I like the original better... ("1979" Cover)”

  1. # Blogger wire

    This only makes me want to listen to the original.  

  2. # Blogger brownpower

    you know, you didn't have to post a comment to tell me that... but if you don't, who will? Not the readers... lol.

    Just Kidding. I love you all.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    at least it's better than THIS
    http://www.criterionmud.net/sounds/Smashing%20Pumpkins%20-%201979.mid  

  4. # Blogger brownpower

    Dave... we all know it's you.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yeah Dave...you gotta stop it.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm looking forward to hearing what zeitgeist sounds like, cause I've been a fan for so long and liked the music so much, and even had a cover band, which was abandoned eventually. Though, I thought we provided a good SP experience and all the bandmates loved the pumpkins, but that's just me :-) Cheers  

  7. # Blogger Unknown

    1979 is best sung by billy  

  8. # Blogger Unknown

    1979 is best sung by billy  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    no esta tan mal el cover pero ahi la llevan  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    you know that the pumpkins version is itself a cover, right? look it up.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Just Pretend | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Counters
Site Counter

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com